The foods that we consume have a huge impact on our weight. And weight gain is the most common concern for many adults. It is common knowledge that the best way to lose weight is to avoid or reduce foods that are high in calories. Knowing which foods to eat and which foods to abstain from is one way to help you maintain your ideal weight.
Here are different types of food to keep away when trying to lose weight:
- Processed meats: Processed foods or meats are those that have been smoked, salted, dried, or canned. They include salami, sausages, beef jerky, cured bacon, and hot dogs and are known to increase the risk of high blood pressure, heart disease, and cancer in numerous studies. These processed foods greatly contribute to weight gain since they contain artificial flavors, thickeners, and various chemical compounds that are harmful to health and make them high in salt, sugar, and fat. Therefore, cutting back on processed foods can help the weight-change process.
- Sugary drinks or beverages: Consuming too many calories can cause weight gain. And sugar-sweetened beverages, soda juices, and carbonated soft drinks have no nutritional value but are high in calories which may result in health problems such as diabetes, obesity, and overweight. There’s enough evidence to discourage the consumption of sugary drinks as part of a healthy lifestyle.
- Chips and crackers: Chips and crackers are types of processed foods that are high in calories and often contain added salts, sugar, and fats. Potato chips and french fries, refined carbs, and salt. The more you eat them, the more you want, and that leads to packing on the pounds. It may seem like an over-exaggeration but studies have found a connection between eating potato chips with an increase in heart disease and the risk of developing cancer. So, it’s best to tone down your chips intake.
- Ice-Cream: Who doesn’t love a dessert after a great meal? Ice cream is often the complimentary refresher to that. However, too much consumption of this creamy, refreshing, and sweet ice cream increases the calorie content as it contains a large amount of sugar and fat. You might want to cut down the consumption if you are a regular eater of commercial ice cream. In case you can’t, you can eat in moderation and burn the ice-cream calories off with exercise.
- Candy bars: If you are on your journey to a healthy body, you need to be mindful of the culprits that are holding you back from reaching your goals. A study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that chocolate bars are highly associated with energy density which means the most weight gain. Commercially produced dark, milk and white chocolate varieties are high in calories and fat contributing to weight gain if taken in a large amount of it frequently.
Bottom line: Studies show that dieting is not the best way to lose weight. The best bet is to maintain a proper diet that is rich in proteins and other nutrients along with exercise to help you in attaining a healthy body.
©To reprint an article, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org